8/08/2008

Airline companies

I was listening to the radio about how airline companies are so impacted by the high cost of fuel that they are now charging for every little thing... Not only are airline companies charging for your 1st and/or 2nd luggage, they are charging for the aisle seat and for pillows and blankets! That's crazy! One of the questions that came up was why charge for the little things when you could just jack up your price???? WELL, it's because if these airlines jacked up their price they wouldn't be competitive... Even though they realize that the price per ticket doesn't cover the cost of the flight, they'd rather take the money they can get than lose that seat to another airline that's selling for a dollar lower. They're job is to make sure they show up on the first page when you search for the lowest airfare on like Expedia and Travelocity; and in order to try to cover as much cost they can, they add all that extra stuff that you don't see when you purchase on those bargain sites.... Tricky right???? I guess it's the only way. It's pretty much a catch 22 for them. They either lower prices and lose more money... or higher prices and lose customers... And for them, they'd rather fly a full plane that's not meeting its cost than flying an empty plane... SUCKS. It kinda makes me feel sorry for airline companies....

The only airlines I guess that's not charging extra is Southwest.... Freakin kudos to them! Somehow THEY are managing! I remember shortly before my Vegas trip a few months ago, I heard on the news that airline companies were flying slower to save gas. They were going to go slower so that flights would take like 10 minutes longer than usual... something like that... Anyway, I heard that and then I went to Vegas.. Friggin Southwest arrived 30 minutes earlier than expected!!!! 30 freakin minutes!!! HELLA GOOD!!!!! Southwest is the best!!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I booked our flight at AIRTRAN and if I want to reserve seats before the flight, it will cost us extra $24. I guess Ge and I will not be sitting together then. And, reserving seats by the window is going to cost you $40 round trip if you booked at AIRTRAN.