6/18/2008

Gas

I did some calculating on our gas expenses, and it turns out we're spending $160 month more on gas than what we were spending back in January. WOW! Hella! Granted that I hate that gas prices have ridiculously increased, I think it's sort of a good thing... It's increased mass transit use, and it's making a lot of people aware of how dependent we are on gas. I mean, before when it increased in the $2 to $3/gallon range, it was like "OK, gas is increasing... gotta make do." But NOW that it's close to $5/gallon, people are really stepping back and re-evaluating their gas usage and adjusting their lifestyle because of it (local vacations, carpooling, mass transit, telecommuting, etc.).... and you know? It's about time we think about spending less gas! It's freakin' causing global warming!!!

So anyway... on that note... I've heard this term - relating to the whole Gas price increase - and it's STAYcations.. Hahaha... It's basically a vacation, but staying local. So like making a vacation by just checking out San Francisco... something like that. I guess because of the increased gas prices, people are now taking more STAYcations instead of VACAtions.. Hahaha.. I think it sounds funny, but it's a good idea! I mean, sometimes I think I take for granted San Francisco and other parts of the Bay Area and so it would be nice to not have to go so far but just to explore what you already got near you!!! I'm not sure if this counts as a staycation, but Jason and I are going to Monterey for our 1 year... It's only a 2 hour drive I think? It definitely beats spending $2K just to go to Hawaii =(

1 comment:

Archie said...

This is why I stay home all the time. Baaaaaaaah!!!