Today at Google, I tried for the first time a wheat grass shot..... For whatever reason (maybe the shot glass aspect of it), I was expecting to get a gag reaction similar to taking a shot of alcohol, but surprisingly I didn't gag! I mean, don't get me wrong... it was naaaasty... But it wasn't no tequila shot!!! So yeah - PER BRIAN - its equivalent to pounds of vegetables, so I've definitely met my quota for veggies for the year, hahahah... JK.
So anyway, I decided to do research on what the benefits of wheat grass, and here's a snippet from Wikepedia:
Wheatgrass Juice vs. Common Vegetables
One of the most popular claims about wheatgrass, and one that is frequently made by both supporters and retailers, is that 1 ounce of wheatgrass juice is as nutritionally valuable as 2.2 lbs (1 kg) of green vegetables, a ratio of 1:33. The available vitamin and mineral data of wheatgrass juice, broccoli and spinach does not support this claim (see table 1). In fact, the vitamin and mineral content of 1 ounce of wheatgrass juice is roughly equivalent to the vitamin and mineral content of 1 ounce of fresh vegetables. This conclusion does not include phyto-nutrient comparisons of these foods.
Another commonly repeated claim, originally made by Schnabel in the 1940's, is that "fifteen pounds of wheatgrass is equal in overall nutritional value to 350 pounds of ordinary garden vegetables",[2] a ratio of 1:23. Schnabel statement doesn't specify the form of wheatgrass, however, Schnabel used dried wheatgrass for his own consumption, in his research and later in his nutritional supplements;[4] a comparison of currently available vitamin and mineral data on dried wheatgrass and fresh vegetables support Schnabel's claim. (see table 2) The vitamin and mineral content of dried grass is equivalent to roughly 20 times that of fresh vegetables.
One area in which wheatgrass is clearly superior to other vegetables is in its content of Vitamin B12, a vital nutrient absent in vegetables.[3]
1 comment:
The boss is definitely not at work!
Post a Comment