A highly recommend this lipbalm to both men and women. I came across this lipbalm at The Coop (some organic grocery store in Davis) after some dancer friends of mine (who are into organic products) kept telling me that petroleum jelly was not good for your lips.. I was told this tidbit of info after having used vaseline on my lips for as hecca years!!! Anyways, knowing that it wasn't good for my skin because it was "a chemical" I decided to go to the Coop to see if I could find a lipbalm that used natural ingredients.. WELL, that's when I got introduced to Burt's Beeswax.. That was at least 5 years ago and you know what... I LOVE IT. I have one in my purse, at home and in my office and everyone that I've introduced Burt's Beeswax has also loved it.. It feels good (that minty feeling) and you know you aren't putting chemicals on your lips! Anyways, everyone I've told that petroleum is bad I had a hard time explaining why because I simply forgot, so I decided to google "petroleum in lipbalm" and here's what I found:
Lip balm has been around for over 100 years. But it took a wrong turn right at the beginning. The inventor of lip balm, Dr. C. D. Fleet, started an unfortunate trend by using petroleum jelly in his Chap Stick lip balm, and it's only become clear in recent years just how ineffective petroleum jelly is as a lip balm. At best, since petroleum jelly isn't absorbed by the skin, it provides only a short-term fix for dry, chapped lips. And since it keeps the skin from breathing, it can -- if used frequently -- actually make your lips more chapped. If you’re looking for a lip balm that can actually heal chapped lips you should consider lip balm made with shea butter. Shea butter's effect on the skin is different from that of petroleum jelly. Instead of lying inert on the surface of the lips, it is absorbed by the skin cells. Because it improves the moisture retention capacity of your lips, your lips become dry and chapped much less frequently.
Petroleum-based lip balm doesn't pretend to fix the problem that causes dry chapped lips. Instead, it basically acts as a band-aid -- slightly moisturizing the surface of the lips and trapping the moisture there, thus temporarily making the lips less dry. But to keep your lips moist using petroleum-based lip balm, you need to frequently reapply the lip balm. Well you might as well just lick your lips all the time -- that has the same temporary effect, it's a lot cheaper, and it doesn't run the risk that bacteria will be trapped between the greasy lip balm and the skin, causing further irritation and even infection.
Granted that Burt's Bees is not Shea butter (its beeswax, duh, coconut oil and vitamin e), its still natural ingredients and I'm sure it works just as good. So GO GET IT! It's winter time... time for chapped lips! You won't regret it! Oh, and btw, you can get it at Borders, Longs, Bath and Body works, and other selected stores.
3 comments:
I LOVE Burt's Bees. You can get it at Borders too...LOL
thaaat's why you don't want me using vaseline anymore!!!
well ever since you told me about burt's i've been addicted. thanks zoy!
and lot is hella selling the product for others to use. you two should get a business and sell burt bees wax. i admit i tried it...and i like the cool sensation that it gives. buy burt bees wax!!
Post a Comment