Yesterday I had my swim lessons over at Silliman Center in Newark. It's 8 sessions and its basically a group of teachers who teach a group of students on whatever they want to learn... so really, it applies to all levels of swimmers, including beginners. Well, I thought it would be great to take swim lessons being that summer is coming up and since the lessions are cheap ($40 for 8 sessions), I thought why not... A couple months ago, I was thinking of going to Fremont Swim School, but after I found out about the price ($120 for 12 sessions), I wanted to hold off until I had a little extra money (I had trips planned and my birthday coming up...$$$) So the question is, was it worth taking this $40 swim lesson? NO... Sorry Silliman swim teachers, but I didn't learn much. I really thought I would go by a set curriculum.. I didn't. It was more me having to ask questions and them just being around to answer them... and if I wasn't getting it, they just left me alone to work on it.. Most of the time, the teachers were messing around and goofing off with each other.. I would think that even though they left me alone to practice, they would give me tips on how to get myself to do it right..OKAY... examples of poor teaching:
I asked how to tread water, the teacher says "It's kinda hard to explain..."
I was having difficulty breathing on the side and the teacher said "Just float to the side.."
Like HELLO!!! Maybe you should teach me how to float on the side first before expecting me how to do it!!
So yeah, obviously you can see I'm erked out.. I'm going to give up on this class (3 more left).. BUT not I'm not going to give up on swimming. After I get back from Europe, I'll enroll at Fremont Swim School and hope that since I'm spending 3 times more than the amount I spent at Silliman, I'll get more attention and better teaching..
No comments:
Post a Comment