7/05/2009

Radio Frequency on Cellphones

At our family's July 4th BBQ, my cousin told me about his co-worker that did some radiation test on a bunch of cell phones and it turned out that the blackberry had the highest radiation frequency. He also said the iPhone had the lowest. It totally freaked me out because I've always heard studies of cell phones causing brain cancer, and you know ME and my fear of cancer! MUN.

So today I decided to do some research and there is this SAR rating that's a specific absorption rate that measures the quantity of radio frequency energy that gets absorbed by the body. The North American SAR limit for mobile cellphones is 1.6 watts/kg over 1 gram of body tissue (whatever that means). So I looked up the SAR rating for the blackberry curve and it's freakin 1.51! MUN. For the iPhone 3GS, it's .79. HELLA LOWER. (You can find this all on Cnet)

I also found this thing called a SAR shield. It looks like a sticker that you put on your cell phone that reduces the SAR level by 89%, but apparently these chips are bogus and really don't do anything to reduce your exposure... BOO.

So now I'm thinkin' having buttons (which has always been my thing about not getting the iPhone) isn't that important anymore. Haha. I'm actually up for an upgrade with AT&T so I'm seriously considering converting to the iPhone.... It'll just take some time to get used to.

What sucks is that I JUST upgraded the software on my blackberry and I've been lovin' it since. Oh well....

Anyway, here are some tips I found online that help to reduce exposure to the radio frequency on your cell phone. The one I found most important to me was this one:

Where possible, do not hold the phone next to your eyes, breasts, testicles, kidneys, liver or abdomen if pregnant - ideally, keep the phone away from your body (such as in a bag) when it is not in use.

Sheesh!! Note to self on texting by my abdomen. (But I know, I'm probably being overly paranoid... LOL. Oh well. Better to be safe than sorry)

No comments: