Tomorrow marks my 4th year anniversary at my current job. Whoohoo! Happy Anniversary to me! Hahah... This is my longest career ever - granted, I only had two - but still! I'm pretty proud of myself. I still remember when I first got offered this job. I was working at the hospital (where I currently work at now) as a consultant when they offered me the job. When I was told the good news, I was happy, but also sad because I was supposed to get on a new project in LA (living off Santa Monica beach AGAIN) and I was going to have supposedly two cool bosses to work with. It was going to start in two weeks and that meant I needed to tell my soon-to-be boss that he needed to find someone else to manage the LA project.... I WAS NERVOUS!! So I left the hospital, got in my car, called Brian and told him the news and asked him "WHAT DO I DO? WILL THEY LET ME TAKE THIS JOB? WHO DO I TALK TO FIRST?"... So I call my soon-to-be boss... My heart's pounding as the phone is ringing and he answers. I tell him that I was offered a job and surprisingly he was happy for me. He had been a consultant at another job before and he said that it was just the nature of being a consultant. You work for clients and sometimes they end up hiring you. So anyway, he told me it was all good.. No need to be nervous... and from then on, it wasn't so bad telling everyone else... PHEW. I had major heart pounds for nothing.
Anyway, it was a big hoopla for having to leave because my boss NOW had to talk to one of the founders of the company to ask if it was OK to basically steal me from them (because of the business relationship they had) and I had to sign hella papers basically saying I wouldn't do anything to have the consulting company lose the hospital as a client... blah blah blah. And now, here I am 4 years later!!!
I definitely don't regret making the decision to take this job 4 years ago, but I can't help but wish I had stayed with the consulting company for just a few more months at least to take on ONE MORE project. It would've been nice to get more management experience and to enjoy the traveling perks a little more... BUT OH WELL, I guess it was just bad timing. I'm still glad that I took this job... It has its ups and downs (obviously from past blog posts) but its a secure job with great benefits, and most of all, I have an awesome boss who is practically like a friend to me.. So anyway, who knows. I could be a lifer here just for the sole fact that my boss is cool, but then again, you never know... I'll definitely stick it out for at least 5 and then we'll SWH.
2 comments:
Just think though, if you get pregnant during your 5th year (or any other years thereafter) that's like not having to worry about work for 3 months (and then some) for that year! It should fly by hella fast. Damn, I need to get pregnant...Baaaaaaaah!!!
That's how I felt when I was at my last job for 4 yeats..and now I've got my own business..
BTW (totally off the topic)I like the title of your blog: live, laugh, love..I'm working on a scrapbook for pics of past memories of our parties here with friends and I titled it that :)
Post a Comment