
Yay!! I'm watching Alvin Ailey this coming March!! I bought tickets yesterday for Program A. They have 3 programs and all of them have different pieces. I chose Program A because there's one piece choreographed by Ron K. Brown, who isn't from Ailey but has his own group based in NY and they are TIGHT. I actually took one of his classes at a Blacks in Dance Conference and I had sooo much fun! A lot of his choreography is very African based and he also puts some capoera in it too... ONE DAY, I will watch one of his shows (he rarely comes to California for his tours) and ONE DAY, I will take one of his classes and/or Ailey's classes when I go to NYC. ONE DAY............
I really wish I could watch all the programs, but that would be way too expensive..... Plus, some of the pieces I've seen already, so its all good.. The picture above is of them doing Revelations. You might have seen them do it on T.V. It's their most popular piece and they actually performed this for President Clinton (I remember watching it on T.V.) It's such an old simple piece, but its soooo beautiful. Total Classic...
A few years ago, I went to a Blacks in Dance Conference in SD (with NSM) and OMG, I felt like I wanted to flip the switch on my career and JUST DANCE. Everyone there was so inspiring.. I remember watching a duet of tapdancers that were soooo unbelievable that I cried at the end... It wasn't even a sad piece, they were just HELLA GOOD. I have no idea really why I cried now that I think about it... Maybe I felt their passion to dance? OR maybe I only wished I could be performing as good as that? I have no idea... Regardless I was in love with the piece they did... I know it sounds wierd considering its tap dancing but these cats incorporated breakdancing and ballet into their tap.... IT WAS SICK. So yeah... at the weekend conference you had the opportunity to see the best of the best dance... and to also take classes from them... It was very INTIMIDATING but REALLY FUN at the same time...
*sigh* I wanna dance again... hahahahaha...
No comments:
Post a Comment